You’re pondering of adopting a cat. You’ve accomplished the Meet Your Match® quiz at your native animal centre to search out your good match and now you’ve acquired your eye on a particular feline you’d prefer to undertake. Earlier than you deliver Fluffy residence, ensure you’re prepared!
Cats might be mysterious however realizing learn how to correctly look after one shouldn’t be. Right here’s what you should do to assist your cat take pleasure in a easy transition into its new life.
Earlier than you undertake – 9 issues to know
- Discover a close by veterinary clinic the place you may take your cat for routine care and well being examinations. Be aware of the clinic’s hours and discover an emergency clinic for after-hours diseases or accidents.
- Place a litter field in a quiet, simply accessible spot that additionally presents privateness in your feline buddy. When you adopted a kitten lower than six months previous, use solely non-clumping cat litter. Kittens are cute, however they’re additionally messy. Litter usually sticks to their fur and ft. That might result in digestive and intestinal issues in case your kitten ingests any litter whereas cleansing themselves.
- Spend money on high quality chrome steel or ceramic meals and water dishes. Cats want loads of contemporary water every day, so hold your pet’s water dish filled with contemporary, clear water.
- Diet is essential to maintain your cat wholesome, so choosing a top quality cat or kitten meals is a should. Usually, kittens needs to be fed three to 4 small meals a day. Most grownup cats needs to be fed a couple of times every day. Speak to your veterinarian to find out how usually and the way a lot to feed your cat.
- Grooming instruments, comparable to a brush or comb, are vital to assist hold your cat’s coat wholesome.
- Cats love toys and actions that hold them stimulated and energetic. . If you buy any toys that include yarn or string, make sure to supervise your cat at play. Ingestion of those supplies may cause severe, and generally deadly, intestinal harm.
- A scratching publish is important as clawing is a pure -and regular behaviour for cats. Select a scratching publish that’s tall sufficient that your cat can absolutely stretch out when scratching. Cats sometimes have a desire of what substrate they take pleasure in scratching, so you will need to discover out in case your cat likes carpet vs rope vs burlap as a scratching publish.
- When you plan on letting your cat go open air whereas supervised, get a breakaway collar, identification tag and a harness and leash. It’s vital to needless to say there are various risks open air for cats. Indoors is a safer choice.
- Lastly, spay or neuter your pet! Spaying or neutering your pet might help cut back the variety of doubtlessly undesirable cats and canine that find yourself in shelters. All cats of acceptable age are spayed or neutered at Ontario SPCA animal centres earlier than being adopted. When you didn’t undertake from the Ontario SPCA and your cat just isn’t spayed or neutered, contact your veterinarian to debate this surgical procedure in your pet.
Proudly owning a cat could be a rewarding expertise. We want you and your new feline buddy all the very best as you get to know one another!
See cats at present accessible for adoption at Ontario SPCA animal centres.