Whats up, pals! Welcome again to Week in Overview, the publication the place we shortly sum up probably the most learn TechCrunch tales from the final sevenish days. The aim? Even should you’ve had a busy week, a fast skim of WiR ought to maintain you within the (tech) loop.
Need it in your inbox each Saturday? Enroll right here.
This week was a bit far and wide, with one other huge story breaking each couple hours. Let’s simply drop proper in, we could?
- Cutbacks at Space 120: Space 120 is Google’s in-house incubator, meant to let Googlers with doubtlessly huge concepts faucet the mega firm’s sources to show mentioned concepts into one thing actual. This week, nonetheless, Google confirmed that it’s slashing half of the Space 120 tasks presently in growth, with the incubator “shifting its focus” to AI tasks. Impacted staff are being given till early 2023 to discover a new job inside Google.
- Adobe buys Figma: In one of many largest tech acquisitions of all time, Adobe introduced this week its intent to purchase the collaborative/web-based design instrument Figma for a whopping $20 billion. Figma noticed ridiculous development all through the pandemic, as many, many tech groups went distant and adjusted their workflows accordingly. Even for a corporation as huge as Adobe, profitable that a part of the workflow again would’ve been powerful.
- Layoffs at Twilio: Twilio confirmed this week that it’ll lay off roughly 11% of its workforce — someplace between 800 and 900 folks — as the corporate focuses on reaching profitability in 2023.
- iOS 16 goes stay: As anticipated, iOS 16 rolled out to Apple units this week. Need our ideas on it? Discover Romain’s evaluation right here. Wish to know all the not-so-obvious new options hiding inside the replace? Try Ivan’s checklist. Most of our readers appear to be searching for fascinating methods to make use of these new Lock Display widgets.
- South Korea points an arrest warrant for Terraform Labs’ founder: “A court docket in South Korea has issued an arrest warrant for Do Kwon, the founding father of Terraform Labs,” writes Manish, “escalating its probe into the crypto ecosystem whose two tokens misplaced $40 billion in worth in a span of days earlier this 12 months.”
- Uber hack: Late Thursday evening, Uber confirmed that it’s “responding to a cybersecurity incident” after a hacker seemingly breached the corporate’s inner community, with the hacker reportedly saying their presence (and protesting how Uber pays its drivers) proper inside Uber’s Slack.
Should you like TechCrunch in your eyes, take a look at TechCrunch in your ears. This week in TechCrunch podcast land, the Fairness workforce talked about how Y Combinator has developed in recent times, the Chain Response crew “dug into the institutional embrace of blockchains by stodgy monetary powerhouses,” and the Discovered workforce went all “best hits” by revisiting an interview with Figma founder Dylan Area from earlier this 12 months.
Wish to know what TC+ members are studying most behind the paywall? I’ve bought that checklist beneath. Wish to grow to be a TC+ member your self? Enroll right here and use promo code “WIR” for 15% off an annual go.