Opal is a singular and interesting gemstone that has been utilized in jewelry for millennia. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is each lovely and crowd pleasing. Opals undoubtedly deserve a spot in your jewelry assortment, however what do you actually learn about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewelry, how opals are shaped, and how you can look after opal jewelry to make sure that it stays trying lovely for years to return.
Let’s get began …
How are Opals Fashioned?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, forsaking a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, finally forming a strong mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take wherever from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the precise situations and components concerned. The result’s a singular and exquisite gemstone with a definite play of color, created by the way in which gentle refracts by means of the layers of silica.
Not all opals function the iridescence and play of color seen significantly in Australian opals, however as a substitute have extra of a strong colouring which will be white, yellow, pink, orange, crimson and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewelry for hundreds of years, with a number of the earliest examples relationship again to historic Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals had been believed to have magical powers, and so they had been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewelry was turning into extra broadly out there, and it grew to become a well-liked selection for engagement rings and different big day jewelry.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewelry grew to become much more common and right now it stays a well-liked selection for jewelry lovers right now. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is a good way so as to add some color and character to your jewelry assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is understood for producing a number of the best opals on the planet, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, but it surely wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary industrial opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits had been present in areas akin to Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia continues to be largely a small-scale trade, with most of the mines being family-run operations. Nevertheless, there are additionally bigger mining firms that make use of lots of of individuals and produce vital quantities of opal annually.
Right this moment, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewelry designers and jewelry lovers world wide. With their distinctive and fascinating play of color, Australian opals proceed to be a very fashionable selection for these on the lookout for a particular and exquisite gemstone.
Take care of Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them trying their finest. Listed here are some suggestions for caring on your opal jewelry:
- Opal is kind of a gentle gemstone, so retailer your opal jewelry individually from different jewelry to keep away from scratches and harm. Delicate fabric pouches or jewelry containers are perfect for storage of valuable jewelry.
- Clear your opal jewelry often to take away grime and oil buildup. To wash opal jewelry, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry completely. Take a look at our complete jewelry cleansing information for extra suggestions.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewelry moist often or for prolonged durations, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We suggest taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewelry will get moist, you need to dry it rapidly and completely to forestall harm.
- For top worth opal jewelry, we suggest having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in prime situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewelry to harsh chemical compounds, akin to bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can harm the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on valuable steel which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as finest you possibly can and be sure you rinse and dry completely while you’re carried out.
- By no means expose opal jewelry to excessive temperature adjustments, as this will trigger the gemstone to crack or turn out to be discoloured. Particularly do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Lovely Opal Jewelry to your Assortment
Opal jewelry is a ravishing and distinctive selection of gemstone for jewelry lovers. Whether or not you are on the lookout for an important day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly vibrant addition to your assortment, opals are a actually particular choice.
At Simone Walsh Jewelry we have now a choice of reasonably priced opal jewelry, together with some small and exquisite Australian opals, Mexican hearth opals and strong color variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Take a look at our opal jewelry vary, together with our full gemstone jewelry assortment. We’re certain you will discover one thing you like.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings