Current headlines remind us that Jenn Anniston and TV persona Emma Willis use collagen dietary supplements as a part of their magnificence routine. And if you happen to do your analysis, you’ll see that Kelly Ripa, Kourtney and Khloe Kardashian, and Kate Hudson additionally discuss the advantages of taking collagen.
These are attractive girls who appear to defy the conventional processes of getting older. Ought to we take that to imply collagen dietary supplements fulfill the advertising claims? As a reminder, these claims embrace younger pores and skin, thicker hair, stronger bones, and extra versatile joints.
Learn on to be taught what the analysis says about the advantages of collagen and the rationale for taking collagen dietary supplements. Finally, you and your doctor ought to determine if collagen is an acceptable routine. However this put up ought to provide the background you have to interact together with your well being skilled and ask the precise questions.
In short: Analysis on the advantages of taking collagen
Some research have proven collagen dietary supplements to ship anti-aging advantages:
- A 2013 research revealed in Pores and skin Pharmacology and Physiology linked collagen supplementation to increased pores and skin elasticity.
- A 2018 research concludes that oral consumption of collagen peptide could enhance pores and skin hydration, elasticity, and wrinkling.
- A medical analysis evaluate revealed in 20016 in Present Medical Analysis and Opinion finds that collagen hydrolysate taken orally can accumulate in cartilage. This may increasingly assist deal with degenerative joint circumstances corresponding to osteoarthritis.
Whereas these research considerably assist the advantages of collagen, extra analysis is required. Unanswered questions on oral collagen dietary supplements embrace:
- Among the many research that assist collagen’s anti-aging advantages, have been these advantages the results of the collagen or another ingredient within the complement?
- Which collagen sorts are greatest for beauty enhancements?
- How effectively can the physique convert consumed collagen into collagen within the pores and skin?
- How does oral collagen evaluate to topical therapies that comprise collagen or enhance the pores and skin’s collagen manufacturing?
Regardless of the unknowns about collagen dietary supplements, there are a lot of firms producing and advertising these youth-promising drugs. Why? As a result of collagen is a vital protein within the physique and researchers know that collagen manufacturing declines as we age.
What we do know: Collagen’s function within the physique
Collagen is a structural protein within the human physique. As Payal Patel describes, collagen is a constructing block for bones, tendons, cartilage and hair, pores and skin, and nails. It offers energy and assist all through the physique by defending softer tissues and connecting them to the skeleton.
The necessary elements of collagen embrace:
Collagen is a fibrous protein manufactured from lengthy chains of amino acids. These amino acids are important for sustaining the integrity and energy of varied bodily tissues.
2. Pores and skin well being
Collagen contributes to wholesome pores and skin by offering elasticity and hydration. As we age, collagen manufacturing naturally decreases, which may result in wrinkles and sagging pores and skin.
3. Bone energy
Collagen is a key part of bone tissue. It offers bones flexibility and energy, making them resilient to fractures and accidents.
4. Joint operate
In joints, collagen acts as a cushion, stopping bones from rubbing in opposition to one another. This cushioning impact is important for joint flexibility and mobility.
Collagen manufacturing and resilience
The physique produces collagen by itself, however a number of elements can have an effect on its manufacturing. These embrace age, food regimen, and life-style.
As talked about, collagen manufacturing declines with age. Decrease collagen within the pores and skin is related to seen indicators of getting older.
2. Food regimen
The physique makes use of different vitamins to fabricate collagen. A nutritious diet wealthy in vitamin C, zinc and amino acids glycine, proline and hydroxyproline, can assist the physique’s pure collagen manufacturing.
Smoking, extreme solar publicity, and poor dietary selections can speed up collagen breakdown.
You’ll be able to eat collagen in two methods, by way of your food regimen or with a magnificence complement. Meals which are excessive in collagen embrace robust cuts of crimson meat like brisket and chuck roast, bone broth, and gelatin. Sadly, it’s usually not really helpful to eat a whole lot of crimson meat.
For most individuals, collagen dietary supplements are a neater, more healthy method. They’re obtainable in powders, capsules, and liquid.
Inquiries to ask earlier than beginning a collagen routine
Don’t soar into any dietary or magnificence routine change calmly. Do your homework and ask these questions:
- What does my physician or derm suppose? Earlier than making any change to your food regimen or magnificence routine, examine together with your doctor or dermatologist.
- What sort of collagen is it? There are a lot of forms of collagen, however Varieties 1 and three are most really helpful for pores and skin well being. For example, see Kissed Earth collagen merchandise.
- What else is within the complement? Learn that label. Further elements like vitamin C could also be useful, however too many added elements could solely elevate the value.
- The place does the collagen come from? Collagen can come from cows, rooster, or marine life. In case you’re shopping for cow (bovine) collagen, be certain it’s grass-fed and pasture-raised.
Collagen dietary supplements for good well being
Collagen is a protein that performs a significant function in sustaining the physique’s structural integrity. It contributes to pores and skin well being, bone energy, and joint operate, amongst different issues.
Whereas there’s some scientific assist for the advantages of taking oral collagen dietary supplements, extra analysis on efficacy is required. In case you determine to offer collagen dietary supplements a strive, mix it with a well-balanced food regimen and wholesome life-style selections to see the most effective outcomes.
Collagen complement FAQs
Can collagen dietary supplements reverse the indicators of getting older?
Collagen dietary supplements could assist enhance pores and skin elasticity and scale back wrinkles, however they can’t reverse the getting older course of.
Are there any unintended effects of collagen dietary supplements?
Collagen dietary supplements are usually protected, however some folks could expertise digestive points or allergy symptoms. Discuss to your healthcare skilled earlier than beginning any new complement.
How can I naturally increase collagen manufacturing in my physique?
You’ll be able to promote pure collagen manufacturing by consuming meals wealthy in vitamin C, amino acids, and antioxidants. A wholesome life-style that features common train and solar safety can also assist protect pure collagen ranges.
Are collagen dietary supplements appropriate for vegetarians and vegans?
Most collagen dietary supplements are derived from animal sources, so these aren’t appropriate for vegetarians and vegans. You will discover plant-based options, nonetheless. Seek for vegan collagen dietary supplements.
Can collagen enhance joint ache?
Collagen dietary supplements could assist scale back joint ache and enhance joint operate in some folks, particularly these with circumstances like osteoarthritis. Outcomes can range, although. Your healthcare supplier ought to oversee your complement routine.