Cats usually don’t scent as a result of they’re centered on staying clear, so in case your nostril turns up as you cross the litter field it might be a sign that you must ramp up your cleansing routine. As a cat mother or father, it’s best to monitor the litter field. Doing so means that you can not solely keep on prime of cleansing, but in addition monitor your cat’s well being.
Right here’s the Ontario SPCA’s High 5 Suggestions for Combatting Smelly Kitty Litter
- So as to keep away from cat odor, ensure you’re scooping out any litter field solids a minimum of as soon as each day (twice a day if attainable) and disposing of it outdoors the house. If the litter field turns into too smelly, your cat may veto the field altogether and get rid of someplace else within the residence.
- It’s good observe to interchange your entire litter field as soon as per week to keep away from smelly litter in your house, as a substitute of simply topping up the litter. Some clumping litters promote that they solely must be modified as soon as monthly, however remember the fact that it’s straightforward to neglect the final time you changed the litter in the event you go away it that lengthy.
- It’s necessary to maintain the field itself clear, not simply the litter. Wash the field as soon as per week when altering the litter. Use a gentle cleaning soap and scorching water, and if attainable, set the field out within the solar to dry for an additional antibacterial impact. Keep away from utilizing harsh chemical compounds to scrub the litter field, as a result of cats have a eager sense of scent and if one thing smells unfamiliar, your cat may keep away from utilizing it in any respect.
- To maintain your kitty content material, analysis has proven most cats favor fine-grained litters in an open litter field (as a consequence of their extremely delicate sense of scent, many cats dislike lined containers the place odors are trapped inside).
- To additional keep away from disagreeable odors, you’ll be able to place a skinny layer of baking soda alongside the field’s backside to soak up odor.
In the event you ever end up questioning whether or not to scrub out the litter field, a very good rule of thumb to remember is: in the event you discover the field smelly, it’s seemingly your cat will too!
For extra on fixing litter field dilemmas learn this weblog put up.