Cats are the unique advocates of self-care – napping, pampering, and enjoyable! So with regards to bathing, cats hardly ever want a shower.
That being mentioned, there are particular circumstances when bathing your cat is critical, reminiscent of if they’ve fleas or are unable to wash themselves. Being calm and ready is the important thing to a profitable tub time in your cat.
Maintain it paw-sitive!
Many cats would favor to maintain themselves dry, so having an assistant available could also be useful (relying in your cat’s tolerance). Having a non-slip floor in your bathtub or sink will assist your cat to really feel safe whereas they’re within the water.
You’ll additionally need to have loads of treats available to maintain your feline good friend distracted throughout the bathing course of. This is a perfect time to make use of very excessive worth treats. You’ll need to hold these excessive worth treats small to be able to supply loads of them and as usually as potential, to maintain your cat distracted. The treats will act as a constructive reinforcement all through the expertise. Make it possible for nails are trimmed beforehand, to assist keep away from any potential accidents!
Step-by-step information to bathing your cat
- Whereas filling the bathtub or sink, alter the water to a lukewarm temperature.
- Utilizing a handheld showerhead or water jug, begin at their ft/again and slowly transfer upwards. Use a moist washcloth for the face, eyes, and ear areas.
- Beginning on the neck, use a pet shampoo beneficial by your veterinarian and gently therapeutic massage into the coat, working in direction of the tail. Test the directions on the label for correct use and all the time ask your veterinarian if it’s the appropriate product in your cat.
- Rinse the shampoo from the neck and again in direction of the tail.*
- Lengthy-haired breeds may additionally profit from conditioner.* Apply the identical as step 3.
- Rinse conditioner from the neck down and in direction of the tail.
- Use a towel for drying (or blow dryer on low warmth if they’ll tolerate it).
- Remember to supply reward and constructive reinforcement all through the expertise.
*Reminder: As a result of cats self-groom, will probably be essential to make sure that all of the shampoo (or conditioner) is totally rinsed off their coat to stop them from ingesting any residual product(s).
An occasional tub is okay for cats. Nonetheless, should you discover your cat not maintaining with typical feline hygiene (grooming/licking their coat), make sure to talk about this together with your veterinarian. Medical situations reminiscent of weight problems or arthritis may very well be the trigger.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings