Toddler Psychological Well being Consciousness Week is an annual world occasion in June that sheds gentle on the importance of emotional wellbeing and improvement in infants. This 12 months’s theme, ‘Bonding earlier than start,’ highlights the essential function prenatal experiences and relationships play in shaping a toddler’s psychological well being.
By elevating consciousness and emphasising the significance of early bonding, Toddler Psychological Well being Consciousness Week goals to advertise assist companies and interventions that may positively affect infants’ wellbeing.
Right here, you’ll be taught extra about toddler psychological well being, the significance of bonding earlier than start, the place to get assist, and eventually, how one can assist unfold consciousness and take motion to assist this trigger.
Understanding toddler psychological well being
Sadly, toddler psychological well being is a subject that always goes unnoticed or is misunderstood. Nevertheless, analysis has proven that the experiences and relationships we encounter throughout our earliest years, together with earlier than start, considerably affect our mind improvement.
Stress and adversity skilled throughout being pregnant can even have long-term results on the bodily and psychological well being of infants, which implies that it’s much more essential to get the assist you want throughout this essential time.
1 in 5 ladies will expertise perinatal anxiousness and despair, so early intervention is essential. Learn in regards to the 3 advantages of early entry to psychological assist in being pregnant from our resident perinatal psychologist Lauren Keegan.
The place to get psychological well being assist throughout being pregnant
There are numerous companies accessible to assist expectant dad and mom and households throughout being pregnant that may make a profound distinction in selling optimistic psychological well being outcomes for infants, together with:
- Being pregnant, Delivery and Child helpline gives free, non-judgemental emotional assist and reassurance from midwives and maternal and little one well being nurses. They’re accessible 7 days every week over the telephone, or through video name between 7am and midnight. Telephone 1800 882 436 in Australia (free from landlines).
- PANDA (Perinatal Anxiousness and Melancholy) nationwide hotline is Australia’s solely free helpline service for ladies, males and their households affected by perinatal anxiousness and despair. Extremely skilled and caring counsellors will help you’re employed via your challenges. Telephone 1300 726 306 between 9am – 7.30pm Monday to Friday (AEST/AEDT). Fill out their psychological well being guidelines right here for anticipating mums, dads, and non-birth dad and mom, in addition to new mums, new dads, new non-birth dad and mom, and companions/carers.
- Ship us your questions and issues through DM over on our Fb web page and we’ll share them with our group of expectant and new mums. We are able to put up anonymously for you should you want.
Embracing the theme: ‘Bonding earlier than start’
This 12 months’s theme invitations us to replicate on our hopes and desires for our infants and recognise the function they play in our lives.
Whether or not you’re a mother or father, a relative, or a buddy, take this chance to share your ideas, perceptions, and emotions in regards to the infants in your world.
Use social media platforms like Fb, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and extra to put up photos, movies, and tales. Let’s make our infants’ voices heard throughout this particular week devoted to their wellbeing. Don’t overlook to incorporate the hashtag #IMHAW2023 to affix the dialog and unfold consciousness.
Learn our article Making a bond together with your child earlier than they’re born for 15 concepts on how one can bond together with your unborn child, and 15 concepts on how your accomplice or different caregivers can bond together with your unborn child.
Taking motion to unfold consciousness
Toddler Psychological Well being Consciousness Week will not be solely about social media posts but additionally about taking tangible steps to assist the trigger. Right here’s how:
- Attain out to your folks, household, and colleagues and have interaction in conversations in regards to the significance of toddler psychological well being.
- Think about being a visitor on podcasts and sharing tales about your experiences, or the experiences of family and friends members. By initiating these discussions, we are able to encourage individuals to replicate on what it’s like for infants and the challenges they could face of their early lives.
- Encourage healthcare professionals to incorporate discussions about toddler psychological well being in routine check-ups and supply sources for fogeys.
- Companion with native early childhood applications, corresponding to daycare centres, preschools, and parenting assist teams, to advertise toddler psychological well being consciousness. Provide to conduct or organise workshops or informational classes for fogeys and caregivers on the subject.
- Become involved in advocating for insurance policies that assist toddler psychological well being. This might contain contacting native legislators, collaborating in campaigns, or becoming a member of organisations that work to advertise insurance policies and applications aimed toward supporting early childhood improvement and psychological well being.
- Contribute to organisations that concentrate on toddler psychological well being, corresponding to AAIMH. By donating your time, abilities, or monetary sources, you’ll be able to assist these organisations perform their work, together with elevating consciousness, offering assist to households, and conducting analysis.
- Provide assist and steerage to folks and caregivers by sharing evidence-based data and sources associated to toddler psychological well being. Join them with native companies, assist teams, or professionals who specialize in early childhood psychological well being.
- Recognise that supporting toddler psychological well being additionally includes supporting parental wellbeing. Encourage self-care practices, stress discount strategies, and entry to psychological well being sources for fogeys and caregivers.