First impressions matter! Introducing two unfamiliar canines could be a aggravating occasion for you and the animals. Nonetheless, with a plan in place, you possibly can guarantee issues go easily and facilitate a lifelong relationship.
- Depart your present canine at dwelling once you go to choose up your new canine. Managing the interplay of two new canines if you are driving a automobile is not going to be attainable and will trigger stress within the confined area of your car.
- Recruit a helper(s) for the introduction. You will have a minimal of two individuals, one to deal with every canine.
- Have treats accessible to reward and encourage good behaviour!
- Plan for the introduction to happen in a impartial setting as soon as each canines have settled in (park, open subject, parking zone). .
Step 1: Introductions/Getting Began:
Take a stroll collectively within the impartial setting you’ve chosen. The objective of this step is to assist the canines to really feel comfy round one another.
- Whereas taking your canines for a stroll, preserve a secure distance between them. That is to forestall the leashes from tangling and the canines from greeting one another inappropriately. It should additionally assist them loosen up and regulate to one another’s presence/scent.
- Each canines must be stored on leash with individuals comfy dealing with them.
- Attempt to preserve the leashes slack as you stroll. Stress or tightness may cause frustration and adjustments your canines physique language which may create miscommunications between the canines.
- Present treats or reward to each canines to reward good behaviour whereas strolling, in the event that they have interaction with one another (take a look at or sniff in the direction of and so on.) reward and reward.
Step 2: Provoke a brief, monitored play session
If the canines have made it this far with out lunging, growling or exhibiting indicators of overt stress, you possibly can proceed to letting them work together with one another. Preserve your treats in your pocket for this half; a dropped deal with may trigger battle between the canines.
- It is finest to drop the leashes and permit a little bit of freedom right here. Take them to a big, enclosed space like a fenced yard – the more room, the much less stress there can be.
- Drop their leashes, and permit them to research one another. As they method, watch their physique language and handle the interplay carefully. They might puff themselves up and even vocalize a bit, however neither canine ought to seem frightened or overly stiff.
- Strive to not hover over the canines and preserve your self shifting – each individuals ought to stroll round, preserve issues mild, and proceed to supply verbal reward, giving breaks repeatedly
- In the event that they appear to be interacting nicely, separate them for a number of brief seconds by selecting up their leashes recalling and shifting away. Now, in the event that they select to return and work together with each other, it means they’re having fun with the interplay, if one in every of each tries to take away themselves or avoids the interactions take a break stroll round and take a look at once more in time, separating as you go to make sure they freely select to return to interacting.
- If play is initiated between them (i.e. the canines attempt to play by pawing or play-bowing with their legs stretched out in entrance of them), enable them to proceed, and provides verbal reward for every good interplay.
- Additionally it is necessary for canines to implement position reversals, like taking turns being the chaser and the one being chased, and to take breaks once they get too amped up. If they aren’t ready to do this for themselves, choose up their leashes and stroll them round till they shake off and loosen up, then attempt once more.
- Even when they’re taking part in and getting alongside nicely, preserve it brief. It’s best to finish these preliminary classes on a optimistic word.
We hope you discover the following tips useful for taking this primary step introducing your second canine to your furry household!