Charles Dickens famously mused, ‘What better present than the love of a cat?’
We at Sfr-Recent absolutely agree. We based Undertake-A-Cat Month® 47 years in the past to encourage individuals to undertake cats from animal shelters, the place there’s the best want. We have a good time it every June – a month that additionally marks the peak of “kitten season,” when massive litters of kittens are born and sometimes find yourself in animal shelters.
All cats deserve loving houses and pet mother and father who will assure they get the absolute best care. By bringing dwelling a brand new kitten and/or senior cat, you could be a hero AND discover your new, purrrfect finest pal.
The favored annual marketing campaign is a component of a bigger effort by Sfr-Recent to assist these stunning animals and give attention to the distinctive challenges and points they face. Though cats have usually been known as America’s “Most In style Pet,” with an estimated 94 million dwelling in 47 million U.S. households, they obtain much less veterinary care, have much less analysis devoted to their distinctive well being/behavioral points, usually tend to be feral, and usually tend to be euthanized in shelters than canine.
Along with elevating consciousness of the significance of adopting a shelter cat presently, we may also be sharing Undertake-A-Cat Month® ideas and content material on our web site and throughout our social media platforms all through the month to make sure potential pet households are ready for the joyful – and typically complicated – moments of adopting a cat.
TOP 10 CHECKLIST FOR ADOPTING A CAT
- In the event you’re serious about adopting a cat, think about taking dwelling two. Cats require train, psychological stimulation and social interplay. Two cats can present this for one another.
- Discover a cat whose persona meshes with yours. Simply as we every have our personal persona, so do cats. Generally, cats with lengthy hair and spherical heads and our bodies are extra easygoing than lean cats with slender heads and quick hair, who’re sometimes extra lively. Adoption counselors can provide recommendation that will help you match the person cat’s persona with your personal.
- Select a veterinarian forward of time and schedule a go to inside the first few days following the adoption. You’ll need to take any medical information you obtained from the adoption heart in your first go to. Resulting from their immaturity, kittens particularly ought to accompany you to make the appointment – even earlier than the examination itself – so workers can pet the cat and the animal can have a optimistic affiliation with the veterinarian’s workplace.
- Be sure that everybody in the home is ready to have a cat earlier than your new pet comes dwelling. Visiting the shelter, rescue group or animal management facility must be a household affair. When adopting a brand new cat with current pets at dwelling, focus on with the adoption facility the way to make a correct introduction.
- Funds for the short- and long-term prices of a cat. Perceive any pet is a duty and that there’s a value related to it. A cat adopted from a shelter is a cut price; many amenities can have already supplied spaying or neutering, preliminary vaccines, and a microchip for everlasting identification. Plus, shelters and rescue teams are there to supply steering and help as you acclimate your new member of the family.
- Refill on provides earlier than the cat arrives. Be ready so your new cat can begin feeling at dwelling instantly. Your cat will want a litter field, a good-quality cat litter, meals and water bowls, meals, scratching posts, secure and stimulating toys, a comfortable mattress, a brush for grooming, a toothbrush and nail clippers.
- Cat-proof your house. A brand new cat will rapidly train you to not go away issues mendacity out. Meals left on the kitchen counter will serve to show your new pal to leap on counters for a attainable lunch. Do away with free gadgets your cat would possibly chew on, watch to make sure the kitten isn’t chewing on electrical cords, and decide up random gadgets like paper clips (which kittens might swallow).
- Go slowly when introducing your cat to new family and friends. It may possibly take a number of weeks for a cat to loosen up in a brand new atmosphere. It’s an ideal thought to maintain the brand new addition secluded in a single room (with a litter field, meals and water, toys and the cat provider overlooked and open with bedding inside) till the cat is used to the brand new environment; that is notably necessary when you’ve got different pets. In the event you’ve adopted a kitten, socialization is essential. However keep in mind – take it gradual.
- Remember to embody your new pet in your loved ones’s emergency plan. You most likely have a plan in place for getting your loved ones to security in case of an emergency. Alter this plan to incorporate your pets. Add telephone numbers to your veterinarian and closest 24-hour animal hospital to your “in-case-of-emergency” name listing and remember to have a several-day provide of your pet’s meals and drugs available.
- In the event you’re contemplating giving a cat as a present, make sure that the recipient is an lively participant within the adoption course of. Although well-meaning, the shock kitty present doesn’t enable for a “get-to know-one-another” interval. Bear in mind, adopting a cat isn’t like buying a family equipment or a chunk of bijou – it is a actual dwelling, respiratory, and emotional being.
What are you ready for? Trip the wave and undertake a superb feline – or two – this Undertake-A-Cat Month®!